Saturday, March 12, 2011

Paci Free

Monday, on the way home from School, Conner was launching pacifiers from the backseat. Probably aiming at the back of my head. I told him that if threw his pacifiers, he didn't really need them. I told him we should throw them all away because he was too big for them. When we got home, much to my surprise, he took the pacifiers from the car and put them in the trash can. So, I went with it. I said, lets find ALL of the pacifiers and throw them away. He willingly searched for all of his pacifiers and threw them all in the trash. Knowing he would be "Dumpster Diving" the first time I turned my back, I told him we should take the bag out to the street and call the "trash man" and let him know we have a bag ready for him. So, I took the bag and put it behind our garage. Conner was messing around in the kitchen about a half hour later. I went into the living room and hollered for him to "Hurry up and come here." I told him I saw the garbage truck driving off with our bag of trash and if he looked quick he could probably still see him.  He agreed he saw the back of the truck drive away. That was all it took. He asked about them several times without ever a tear. I told him that his daddy would take him to Rural King that night and get him a big boy toy since he reached a big milestone.  He asked about them once or twice the next day and that was the end of it. Every once in awhile he says "Ba's trash."  Then he claps for himself.
This was way easier than I ever thought. He was so addicted to them like a bad habit. He had to sleep with 10-15 of them and if he was playing and couldn't find one, he would freak out. It is so nice not seeing them all over the house and especially in his mouth. He is instantly prettier than ever. We even get more random kisses because the pacifier is not in his mouth. Who knew this would be that easy? Now, we are dreading starting potty training in May. Hopefully, we keep our good luck streak. Good Job Conner. You are headstrong like your momma!

Conner picked out a John Deere Wheel Barrow for his big boy gift.

1 comment:

The Broeker Family said...

Yay, Conner! What a BIG boy you are now. I remember your friend, Kyle, also loved his pa-pa (as he called it) very much! He understands how hard it is to give it up. Way to go, Buddy!!